Library 201

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Blog 6

The movie and video made me realize how much I am affected by American media and the pop culture in our society today. I am comfortable with my weight and how I look but always find myself wishing I was a few pounds lighter or looked a little different.

Advertising effects what I buy even though I wish so bad that it didn’t. For example, I always get sucked in to buying facial creams that supposedly reduce wrinkles. I end up wasting my money on products that don’t even work.

As for food, I feel that America’s culture has made so many American’s obese today. Portions have gotten so much bigger and it is leading to many health problems in America today. On the other hand, the media portrays what the ideal woman should look like which is leading to eating disorders.

I think that the media is very responsible for eating disorders among women. We are so concerned with what we look like on the outside and how other’s portray us. Due to this we find ourselves lacking in self-esteem to things that are simply unrealistic.

Somehow, there needs to be a balance. We shouldn’t deprive our bodies of food but we shouldn’t overeat. The only way to do this is for us to begin to care about our bodies. By this I mean caring about our health. By eating for nutrition, our bodies will look better and by eating healthy we will feel better about our bodies.

Berkman, Nancy. "Diet & Nutrition; North Carolina Researchers Say Existing Medicines are Ineffective for Treating Anorexia." Mental Health Weekly Digest (2006): 32+. Proquest. Western Washington University, Bellingham. 14 May 2006.

1 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Blogger Brittani said...

I like what you said about really just caring for our bodies. That doesn't mean we deprive ourselves to be thin, and it doesn't mean we should eat greasy fried food every day. It's really all about just listening to our bodies and it will all work out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home