Library 201

Sunday, April 16, 2006

A Modest Proposal

The article "A Modest Proposal" was very interesting to me since I have been learning a lot about culture lately. We view and judge others according to our own culture instead of looking at the culture that they come from. Due to this, it is sometimes hard to establish what is right and what is wrong. Many things that I believe as wrong are viewed as perfectly normal in other cultures and vice versa. Like many others I feel cannibalism is wrong and it seems like a very extreme way of life. I think cannibalism is wrong because of the views of my culture. Eating another human is murder and is disgusting. However, someone who views animals as a very sacred form of life feel that eating animals is disgusting and wrong. People of this culture would think of me the same way that I think of people who eat other humans. When Swift refers to eating babies, many people have a horrible reaction and think that it is immoral. There are not many people who feel cannibalism is moral. However, when asking people about their views on abortion there is a large diversity of opinion. There are many more people who feel that abortion is moral. To me, cannibalism and abortion and somewhat the same. They are both killing human life, so it is surprising to me how different the views are among these subjects.

A book that I would like to recommend:

Rollyson, Carl E. " A Higher Form of Cannibalism?: Adventurues in the Art and Politics of Biography." Chicago: Ivan R. Dee, 2005.
call #: not given (In WWU Library)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home